When you’re watching TV and looking for something to nosh on, forget the greasy potato chips that just leave your stomach upset. Instead, go for kale chips! If you haven’t tried them yet, they’re thin, crisp bites of green goodness that satisfy your craving for a little crunch.
Sure, you can find them at the grocery store, but they can get pricy. Plus, making them at home means making them your own. You can season them with nothing more than sea salt, or kick them up with cayenne pepper, black pepper, cumin, curry or any other spice you like.
The best part about any green is that they contain chlorophyll, which is how plants get energy from the sun. When you eat them, you take on this vibrant energy. Other benefits?
Dark Leafy Greens:
- Detoxify your body
- Are a source of fibre, vitmains and minerals
- Contain antioxidants that eliminate free radicals
- Can reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease
So it’s an easy guess that I like to eat greens daily. Some favorites are broccoli, escarole, Swiss chard, collards, dandelion greens, spinach and, of course, kale.
This recipe is just one way to get a dose of these nutrient-dense power foods into your diet. Your kids will love them, too. Pop them into their lunch boxes for a healthy, satisfying snack! They also make the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
Crunchy Kale Chips
From the Institute for Integrative Nutrition:
1 -2 bunches kale
2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stalks, leaving them in large pieces.
- Pour the oil into a bowl. Dip your fingers into the oil and massage a very light coat over the kale. Season well with salt.
- Place the kale on baking sheet in a single layer (cook in batches if necessary) and bake for 5 minutes, or until they start to turn a bit brown. Keep an eye on them, as they can burn quickly!
- Flip and bake until both sides are golden and crisp. Remove and cool completely.
Go green and give Kale Chips a try! Your body (taste buds included!) will thank you. Then, let me know what you think in the comments below or join the fun on Instagram.