Simple Almond Milk (with vanilla and Cinnamon)
Homemade Almond Milk is delicious, far better than anything you can buy at the grocery store. I add vanilla, cinnamon a pinch of sea salt, and Madjool dates to give it a flavourful, creamy and sweet taste. I like to use 1 vanilla bean, the whole thing, for the rich flavour and sent it gives the nut milk. If you do not have a vanilla bean you can substitute this for 1/2-1 tsp of vanilla extract or vanilla powder. Almond milk is quick and simple to make, it only takes about 10 minutes!
• 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water
• 3.5 cups filtered water
• 2-4 pitted Medjool dates, I like to use 3 depending on the size, but sweeten it to your liking.
• 1 whole vanilla bean, chopped (or 1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract)
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• small pinch of fine grain sea salt, to enhance the flavour
1. Place almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Soak them overnight (for 8-12 hours) in filtered water. if you want to make the milk right away, you can get away with soaking them for 1-2 hours. The longer you soak the plumper and more sprouted they will be.
2. Rinse and drain the almonds and place into a blender along with filtered water, pitted dates, and chopped vanilla bean.
3. Blend on highest speed for 1 minute or more. I use a Vitamix blender
4. Place a nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into the bag. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk.
5. Rinse out blender and pour the milk back in. Add the cinnamon and pinch of sea salt and blend on low to combine.
6. Pour into a glass jar to store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. The mixture will separate so give it a shake before using.
Notes: You can use other sweeteners, like maple syrup if you prefer. If your dates or vanilla bean are dry, soak in water to soften before use. I love this Almond Milk on my cereal or just to have as a rich creamy drink.
Bonus: Add 2 Tbsp of Cocoa powder and blend to make chocolate almond milk. Kids love it!
Please share your pictures with me using the hashtag #BuddhaFullAlmondMilk you make for a chance to win a Kraut-Source Fermentation lid!
Love your Health.